Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) insulation is rapidly becoming a preferred insulation in new homes by today’s builders and homeowners alike.
Many builders use spray foam to add insulation to existing finished areas, for use in high efficiency homes, and a way to help homeowners save money on energy bills.
While there many advantages to hopping on the SPF wagon, spray foam insulation, as well as the equipment used to apply it, is notoriously challenging for most homeowners to install on their own, making it a strong possibility they will need the help of a professional.
Figuring Out the Details
Getting started in the SPF business can be daunting at first, especially if you are not familiar with the type of spray foam equipment required to run a successful business.
For those of you who are new to the industry, you will need to consider the following factors:
- The type of application you want to pursue. There are many types of applications and specialties, so when you are just starting out, it can be beneficial to specialize in a specific market, like residential SPF insulation or commercial roofing.
- The type of mobile spray rig, spray foam guns, and spray foam machines you will need.
- Finding the right spray foam equipment supplier. The supplier you partner with should provide plenty of spray foam and equipment training opportunities, and most importantly, quality customer support.
- Developing a business plan and marketing your services.
- Understanding OSHA safety regulations and building codes.
Making the Initial Investment
When you decide to become an SPF contractor, one of most significant considerations required is how much you plan to concentrate on areas including money, time, energy, equipment, materials, and training.
The bulk of your monetary investment will be the spray foam equipment, which can typically require an investment of approximately $20,000 to just over six figures.
It is important to realize that this investment will ultimately vary based on the types of applications you intend to do, and whether you opt for top-of-the-line or standard equipment.
Choosing Your Equipment Supplier
After you complete the business planning and equipment budgeting process, the next step is choosing a spray foam equipment supplier.
Selecting a company to be your primary supplier is one of the most important steps, and there are many questions to consider. For example:
- Does the supplier carry specific spray foam equipment suited for your business’ application?
- Are they located near your service area to support your business with customer service and support, parts, and troubleshooting?
- Does the supplier have experience in the specialties you want to pursue?
There is a wide range of spray foam rigs and related equipment available on the market to choose from today. With so many choices, the key is to opt for a spray foam equipment supplier that will provide you with the right equipment for your needs, top-notch technical support, as well as training on the type of equipment you want to purchase.
In addition to selecting a reliable spray foam machine, you must also pick a quality generator, air compressor system, and other essential equipment.
At Intech Equipment and Supply, we urge those new to the business to figure out what they will be spraying first before making any major equipment investments. As such, you can better figure out the right sizing of the generator, the air compressor, the mobile spray rig, and the spray foam guns you will need in your equipment arsenal.
Finally, when shopping for your mobile spray rig, the size matters. Before making a decision, think about whether you prefer a box truck, gooseneck, or tag-along trailer. Or, do you want something that is completely customized and unique?
Door configuration is another area to consider when mobile spray rig shopping. Ask yourself if you want your rig doors to be barn-style, or would you rather have ramps for entering and exiting the rig?
It Pays to Think Ahead and Be Prepared
Building a reliable relationship with a spray foam equipment supplier who will stand by you and provide ongoing tech support will help you to launch a successful SPF business.
With an intimate knowledge of spray foam equipment and applications, Intech Equipment and Supply’s equipment packages boost productivity, maximize yields, and decrease costs. Our team of professionals can help you determine everything you need before you buy your spray foam equipment.
Contact Intech for more information today.