Intech Equipment & Supply often receives calls and emails from customers and other industry professionals searching for straight answers to their questions about Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) insulation and equipment.
Here is a question our team of experts’ recently received and addressed:
Is purchasing used spray foam equipment a good idea?
Whether you’re just starting out in the SPF business or you’re considering trying out a piece of equipment (but don’t want to buy it brand new), used spray foam equipment can be a good option based upon a number of factors, like availability, cost, equipment condition and material compatibility.
However, we believe the key to purchasing used SPF equipment is to be diligent and thorough as you carefully navigate through the research and inspection process.
At Intech, we always conduct stringent quality checks – developed from our years of expertise and understanding of spray foam – of each piece of used spray foam equipment to help you make the best choice for your needs. As a result, you can be assured that no matter what you purchase from our used spray foam equipment inventory, you are always getting the best product.
Top Four Reasons Why You Should Buy Used Spray Foam Equipment
Here are four reasons why we believe you should buy used spray foam equipment:
- You (or your team members) have excellent mechanical skills and experience with used spray foam equipment repair and maintenance.
- The SPF equipment has been refurbished by a reputable equipment distributor that offers a warranty, and is priced at about 50 percent of the cost of new equipment.
- If it’s not refurbished, the used SPF equipment is deeply discounted to approximately five to 10 percent of the original costs.
- You don’t need the equipment immediately and can take the time to carefully inspect it, as well as make the necessary repairs and parts replacements.
It’s All Good, Simply Proceed With Caution
If you decide to buy used spray foam equipment, there are numerous questions you should ask the seller before signing on the dotted line:
- How old is the spray foam equipment?
- How has the equipment been maintained over time?
- When was the last time the equipment was used?
- Are any repairs needed upfront?
- Has the equipment value recently been appraised?
What About Mobile Spray Rigs?
What if the used spray foam equipment you want to purchase is part of a spray foam rig, including a trailer, compressor, generator and other related supplies and materials?
In this case, we suggest that you use the exact same assessment to properly evaluate and value every component of the spray rig. Remember: each piece of spray foam equipment has the potential to cost you thousands of dollars in repairs and replacement parts if not in good, stable working order.
Have a Reconditioning Plan In Place
If you decide to buy used spray foams equipment, always incorporate time into your schedule to rehab and recondition the pieces, just like an equipment distributor would do. What does this involve?
Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Dismantle the mechanical elements of the proportioner and transfer pumps
- Replace seals, screens, o-rings and any other parts that are worn or damaged
- Check out the electrical continuity, breakers, circuit boards, heating and elements
- Break down the spray guns, and clean and replace parts as needed
- Ensure the proportioner, generator, compressor and trailer are in top condition
The Bottom Line
In many cases, it may make sense to buy used spray foam equipment, rather than new equipment. When purchasing used spray foam equipment, the key is to be aware of your limitations – and those of your equipment.
At Intech Equipment & Supply, we aim to provide affordable pieces of equipment that can be relied upon for years to come. Before you tackle your next SPF project, check out our inventory of used equipment to update your current tools or replace missing or worn parts. We offer quality used spray foam equipment to help you get the job done right, without breaking the bank.